February 2, 2011

Quick Hits 2/2/11 (Album Reviews)

Oh No Oh My * People Problems - I'm pretty sure the Austin quartet lost all creativity when they dropped the exclamation points from their name. The 5 year wait after their superb debut was in no way worth it for this lazy, monotonous, overproduced dump. (D)

Apex Manor * The Year of Magical Drinking - This is what you'd expect from a Merge release. Punchy guitars, infectious hooks and the best album title of the year (so far) make this debut from former Broken West frontman Ross Flournoy a splendid, albeit far from groundbreaking listen. (B+)


Deerhoof * Deerhoof vs. Evil - I've resigned to the fact that I just don't get Deerhoof. I honestly can't see myself wanting to listen to this album ever again. Well, maybe if I was given a choice between this and the new Cage the Elephant. (C)

Fujiya & Miyagi * Ventriloquizzing - Droning electro beats which would be an immediate soundtrack choice for a reboot of the Crow franchise, if it weren't for the fact that this entire album is inspired by ventriloquism (cue the wacko from TLC's My Strange Addiction). (C+)


No comments: